The death of a close family member can be extremely traumatic and difficult for those left behind to deal with, certainly in the initial stages. You will inevitably feel a number of emotions and it is quite possible you may feel confused or at a loss as to what to do next. The following may be of some assistance and comfort to family members at a difficult time.
Pensions – notification
Notifications regarding anyone receiving a pension, resulting from employment with the fire service in Hampshire, can be made at the following ‘one stop’ web address:
Alternatively, a telephone call to the Hampshire Pension Department on 01962 845588, will result in assistance.
How we can help you
Assistance and guidance on how to take the first steps to deal with your new situation will often be provided by other family members but occasionally, and for a variety of reasons, this support may not be available to you.
The Past Members Association (PMA) is ready to help you with:
- notifying other PMA members of the death
- notifying other PMA members of the funeral arrangements
- loan of the PMA standard or coffin drape
- notifying former colleagues as to your choice of flowers or donations to charity
Please note that we will not take over or seek to influence or control you – your wishes remain absolute at all times during this difficult time.
Contact us as soon as you feel able, a phone call is all that is required either from yourself or a close friend or family member.
Sharing personal information (data protection)
Please be aware that any personal information you share with us is only used for the purpose for which it is intended.
However, we may need to pass the information on to other colleagues/organisations in order to give you advice or help you make any necessary arrangements.
If you are contacting us on behalf of a friend or colleague, please make sure they are aware of this, and perhaps clear it with them first.
Ongoing support and contacts
- The Fire Fighters Charity
Charity Helpline: 0800 389 8820
- Berta and Hector Young Trust
Phil Webb (Trustee)
Tel: 023 8062 6779
- Past Members Association, including invites to events
- Hampshire Pensions Department
Pensions Services, Hampshire County Council,
The Castle, Winchester, SO23 8UB
Tel: 01962 845588
- Final salute
Record of the passing of past members on the HFRS Past Members Association website
- The Fire Fighters Charity Book of Remembrance
- The Firefighters Memorial Trust
- The National Association of Retired Firefighters (NARF)
- Inheritance tax
- Death and bereavement information from GOV.UK
- Making a will
Debt advice providers